There are fewer things more frustrating than a troublesome ant infestation. Depending on the type of ants that you’re dealing with at your site, they may begin to eat away at the foundation of your home. Other ants could attack any outside food sources you may have, including your fruit trees and vegetable gardens. There are even some types of ants that bite and sting. Regardless of the type of ant that you’re hoping to eradicate from your property, it’s important to always consult a professional specializing in pest control in Oroville, CA before taking any action.
Ants, like all pests, belong outdoors. The problem arises when they get too close to your home, gardens or other structures. The best strategy to deal with unwelcome ants on your property is to actively contain any areas that you don’t want them to travel.
If you’re already experiencing an ant infestation in your yard, however, there are a number of things that you can do to reduce their numbers and regain control of your property. Here are a few tips and tricks that you can use to eliminate ants outside your home:
- Apply ant treatments: Commercially available ant treatments work to varying degrees of effectiveness. Be sure to purchase a treatment designed for outdoor use, and be careful when spraying if you have any pets or children around, as most pesticides are toxic.
- Use DE: A natural, safer way to kill ants is by using diatomaceous earth (DE). This substance is a very fine white powder that literally sucks all the moisture out of any ants it comes into contact with. Pouring DE onto ants and down their nests can kill off large populations.
- Pour vinegar into the nests: Spraying vinegar onto areas with large concentrations of ants and pouring it directly into their nests can kill them; vinegar may also serve as a deterrent, depending on the type of ant. Be sure to use a white distilled vinegar with 5 percent concentration.
- Apply cayenne pepper solution: Mix three tablespoons of cayenne pepper with a half-teaspoon of dish soap and a quart of water, and spray it directly onto areas with large concentrations of ants. Then, pour the solution directly into the ants’ nests. This will kill off large populations by both smothering and burning them.
- Spray soap and canola oil: Another home remedy that may help kill and deter some types of ants is a mixture of one half teaspoon of soap and a few tablespoons of canola oil, whisked with water. This combination is an effective tool that can be used to suffocate large numbers of ants when applied through a spray bottle or when poured into their nests.
If you’re still struggling with an ant infestation at your property, it’s time to call for the assistance of qualified professionals. Hobbs Pest Solutions is a premier provider of pest control in Oroville, CA. Reach out to one of our friendly, knowledgeable and highly qualified representatives today to learn more about our comprehensive pest control solutions.