Rodents are one of the most hated pests in the world, and for good reason. Rodents destroy property, spread disease and pave the way for other types of infestations. Unfortunately, many of the most effective means of keeping rodents at bay often involve caustic poisons that can be harmful to children, pets and adults alike.
If you’re facing an infestation of rodents in your home, there are a number of poison-free measures that you can take to keep mice and rats at bay, while also not unnecessarily contaminating your home with potentially dangerous substances.
Here are just some of the most effective means of rodent control in Butte County, CA that don’t involve poison:
- Block all entrances: Whether you have a basement window that’s been out of commission for a while or have recently identified a sizable crack in your home’s siding, it’s important to block any holes or entrances that rodents may be using to access your abode. If rodents can’t access your home, they can’t infest it.
- Store pet food in sealed containers: While it may be most convenient to leave your pet food in its original bag or box, rodents can smell this food from far away and are able to quickly chew through plastic and cardboard. Be sure to store pet foods in an airtight container that doesn’t emanate any odor whatsoever.
- Avoid feeding birds: While putting bird seed out for your neighborhood’s winged population is a thoughtful gesture, it may actually be attracting rodents to your property. Avoid feeding bird populations if you suspect that mice or rats may be nearby. Additionally, avoid storing bird seed in non-sealed containers.
- Trim shrubs and bushes: Dense shrubs and bushes, particularly those that line the foundation of your home, make for ideal hiding spaces for rodents. Regularly trimming these shrubs and bushes can help you ensure that your home isn’t subjected to a mice or rat invasion.
- Find a pet: Adopting a cat or dog is a great way to keep rodents far away from home. While the animal itself can be a valuable assistant in your hunt to catch or kill rats and mice, the mere smell of a predator will keep many infestations from occurring in the first place. Additionally, spreading used cat litter outside in moderate quantities can deter mice and rats.
- Set traps: Setting traps is primarily a diagnostic measure that helps you determine how many rodents are present at your home. If your traps are being regularly sprung, it’s advisable to call for professional pest control assistance sooner rather than later.
Since 2014, Hobbs Pest Solutions has been offering comprehensive rodent control in Butte County, CA. We’re proud to be among the premier providers of pest control in the region. You can count on us to keep your home free of insects, rodents and more throughout the year. Reach out to one of our friendly, highly qualified representatives today to discuss the pest control measures that would be suitable for you and your home.
Categorised in: Rats