Steps to Take After You Find Fleas in Your Home or Business
Fleas have been bothering and biting humans for hundreds of thousands of years, and they’ll continue to do so until the end of time. But just because they’re a common nuisance that’ll never truly go away doesn’t mean they ought to live in your home and bite you. Keep reading to learn what to do if you find evidence of fleas in your home or office:
- Find the source: Step number one if you see fleas, have flea bites or even suspect that you might have a flea infestation is to find the source. More often than not, your pets bring fleas into your home. Perform a thorough check through your pet’s fur and see if you can spot any fleas. Assuming they have fleas, wash your pet down with flea prevention shampoo and keep an eye on them to ensure the fleas stay away.
- Clean your home: Unfortunately, just because the source is now flea-free doesn’t mean that your home is. You’ll now need to deep clean your house to get rid of all the fleas. This includes mopping all floors, disinfecting all surfaces, washing all blankets and performing inspections in each room to look for larvae (small black specks). Getting rid of fleas in a home with carpeting is a much more challenging task, and one that you should consider leaving to a professional cleaning service that specializes in dealing with pest-related issues.
- Call a pro: Finally, you’ll need to hire an exterminator in Butte County, CA to kill any remaining fleas and treat your property to prevent them from coming back anytime soon. There are many sprays and supplies you can buy in stores that claim to work as flea killers, but the only way to be sure that they’re gone is to bring in a professional.
The best way to avoid having to go through the steps above is to prevent fleas from getting into your home or office in the first place. Here are a few things you can do to keep fleas at bay:
- Treat your pets: As we learned above, animals are the top flea carriers. The good news is that over-the-counter flea treatments do wonders to keep them at bay! Talk to your veterinarian about which one is right for your pet.
- Tidy up: Make a habit of keeping a clean home. Fleas thrive in dirty and cluttered environments, and you can do a lot to keep them out by simply tidying up and vacuuming your rugs regularly.
- Have your property sprayed: Just like how you need to bring in an exterminator to kill the fleas, you should hire one each spring to spray your whole property with flea repellent as a preventative measure.
The next time you need an exterminator in Butte County, CA, be sure to choose Hobbs Pest Solutions. We specialize in all kinds of pest removal, including fleas, ants, flies, roaches, spiders, rodents and any other creatures you don’t want roaming around your home or office. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment or learn more about all of our services.
Categorised in: Fleas