The last thing any homeowner wants to do is share their kitchen and living space with ants, and are therefore willing to do whatever it takes to keep the pests out. Fortunately, your local experts in pest controlling in Butte County, CA are here to tell you about some of the ways you can do just that. Here is a list of precautions you can take to prevent ants from becoming your next uninvited houseguests:
- Proper sealing: Ants can find their way into your home through any number of various entry points, some that are easily detectable, and others that are not so obvious. Determine where these entrances are located and seal up the openings with caulk, putty or plaster. You should also make sure that the rest of your home is sealed properly to eliminate any other weak areas that may serve as potential points of entry.
- Form protective barriers: You can also prevent ants from pushing their way in by creating barriers, and you may even be able to use items that you already have in your home to do so. Common table salt drains the moisture out of an ant’s body, which can eventually kill them. In problem areas, line salt under doors, windows and the edges of your walls, and any ants that walk through it will take the salt back to the rest of the colony.
- The tape method: Lining problem areas in your home with tape, adhesive side up, can also help to cut down on the number of ants in your home. Because there is a possibility that some of the tiny ants will be able to sneak their way underneath the tape you have put down, it is best to use double-sided tape.
- Eradicate the trail: Sometimes lone ants can be found roaming by themselves, looking for new food sources. Killing these ants is very important, as they are the ones that go back to tell the colony where to invade next. Before killing the ant, however, try to trace the trail the ant uses, and eliminate it using cleaning solution or bleach to kill the scent.
- Getting rid of food sources: One of the most important things you can do to prevent an infestation is make sure that there are no accessible food sources for the ants to sniff out. Avoid leaving food out for too long, and whenever you put any leftovers in the fridge, make sure to use tightly sealed containers. Keep the sink and all other surfaces clean at all times, and wipe them down with bleach on occasion as well.
One of the best ways to protect your home against an unwanted invasion is to work with the pros for effective pest controlling in Butte County, CA. Whether you are dealing with a growing infestation or you want to learn more about the proactive ways in which you can keep them from invading your space in the first place, the team at Hobbs Pest Solutions is the one to call. To make sure your home stays ant-free, contact us today to schedule your consultation.